Atkins High School located at Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina, was dedicated on April 2, 1931, as a facility for “Negro children”. The building, equipment and grounds were valued at that time at $400,000.
The first principal was John Carter, who had previously been a professor at Winston-Salem Teacher’s College. He continued as principal until 1959. The school curriculum included both an academic track for those students intending to go on to college, and a vocational track for those intending to start work immediately.
Dr. Simon Green Atkins came to Winston-Salem from Raleigh, North Carolina, where he graduated from St. Augustine Normal and Collegiate Institute (now St. Augustine’s College). In 1890, he accepted the position of principal of Depot Street School in Winston-Salem. Dr. Atkins was the organizer, secretary, and agent of the board that started Slater Industrial Academy in 1892, now Winston–Salem State University. Dr. Atkins served as principal of Slater on a part-time basis for the first two years of its existence, while he continued his work as principal of Depot Street School. As Slater Industrial Academy grew, the demands upon Dr. Atkins’ leadership and direction increased. In 1895, he resigned his position at Depot Street School to devote himself entirely to Slater Academy.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.